ASPIRE is an intensive research opportunity at Washington University School of Medicine open to current college students.
Under the direction of WashU clinician-researchers Vicky Fraser, MD, Jay Piccirillo, MD, and David Warren, MD, ASPIRE introduces young investigators to medical research and furthers their existing interest in the field.
The eight-week intensive program includes a mentored human-subjects research experience, didactic coursework, and weekly professional development seminars. Program dates for summer 2022 are Wednesday, June 1st-Friday, July 29th.
Selected participants work alongside experienced researchers in a variety of clinical settings. Students participate as full-time members of the research team in order to gain insight into the infrastructure of the research operation, and to witness the collaborative process of sharing techniques, implementing new endeavors, and witnessing successful investigative outcomes. Participants present their work at the end of the session.
Please note: We plan to offer an in-person experience for summer 2022. Proof of vaccination will be required per WashU COVID-19 Vaccination Policy and ASPIRE program participants must adhere to all WashU requirements for being on campus.
Program and scholarship applications are open annually November 1 – February 20.
ASPIRE offers a select group of students accelerated didactic sessions plus mentor-supported research education while providing:
- An introduction to scientific research through a supervised project
- Three (3) hours of undergraduate college credit
- Education needed to develop an individual philosophy of science
- Experience in the laboratory setting, discovering specific areas of interest
- An opportunity to establish a network for career building
- Tools to provide an understanding of medical research
- An opportunity to analyze and present findings
We want to hear from you. We are happy to answer any questions you may have about the program.
Email us at email@example.com | Call us at 314-454-8936